Tuesday, June 14, 2011

From a brilliant mind...

I recently read a quote from the novelist/philosopher Toni Morrison which encapsulates what is essentially my life's philosophy in a more eloquent way than I will ever come close to speaking or writing:

"I have often wished that Jefferson had not used that phrase 'the pursuit of happiness' as the third right ... I would rather he had written, 'life, liberty and the pursuit of meaningfulness' or 'integrity' or 'truth.' I know that happiness has been the real, if covert, goal of your labors here. I know that it informs your choice of companions, the profession you will enter. But I urge you, please do not settle for happiness. It's not good enough. Personal success devoid of meaningfulness, free of a steady commitment to social justice -- that's more than a barren life; it's a trivial one. It's looking good instead of doing good.'' (Rutgers University commencement address, Spring 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment