Thursday, July 21, 2011

Music for Serenity

I just finished orchestrating a setting of the second movement of Antonin Dvořák's ninth symphony to use as a warmup chorale with the Marching Pirates this fall.  This is one of my favorite largo movements in all of symphonydom.  I love that it always brings a sense of tranquility when I listen to it.  This thought prompted me to create a list of other works and songs that always seem to have a quiet calming effect each time I listen to them.  In addition to the previously mentioned, they include the following:


 1) Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings
 2) Jeff Buckley's rendition of "Hallelujah"
 3) The Adagio cantabile from Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata
 4) "The Flower Duet (Lakmé)" by Léo Delibes
 5) Vide Cor Meum by Patrick Cassidy
 6) "Lascia ch'io panga" by Handel
 7) "Colonial Song" by Percy Grainger
 8) The Prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Maj (BWV 1007)
 9) "Flamenco Sketches" by Miles Davis
10) "For Always" from the soundtrack for A.I. written by John Williams


What about you?  What are some of your chill time favorites? 

2 comments:

  1. Gabriel's Oboe - from "The Mission". Ennio Morricone

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea with "Gabriel's Oboe" from "The Mission" by Ennio Morricone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixby9BzJfEo

    I also love Pavel Chesnokov's "Salvation is Created":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSbw8Ea2Os

    ReplyDelete